Hey y’all! This blog goes out to all of my Southern peeps who wear the same clothes year-round. AND my capsule wardrobe friends who like to keep a small closet. AND my gals who just have a favorite pair of jeans. This one’s for you!
In the South, all of our seasons are fake. It could be summer one day, fall the next, and back to summer in a week. Nobody knows what’s happening ever. Basically it means you have to be ready to dress for any season at a moment’s notice. One of the easiest ways to be prepared is to invest in transition pieces that will last you all year. My favorite transition pieces are denim, and more specifically these two pieces:
Now that we have our basics, here’s how to transition your favorite denim pieces to fall! Let’s start with our jeans:
STYLING BOYFRIEND JEANS FOR FALL
- Add a hat. Literally this is the easiest way to give an outfit fall vibes like I mentioned in my neutral fall wardrobe post. Keep a felt hat in your car at ALL TIMES. Just kidding (kinda).
- Pair with a neutral sweater. Neutral is optional, but it’s a great way to keep your closet accessible! Working with muted tones or soft whites works well for fall. PRO TIP: Keep it lightweight so you’re not sweating your butt off if the seasons switch in the middle of the day. OR wear a tank or bodysuit underneath!
- Slip on some ankle boots. I find this look works best with boyfriend, bootcut, or straight leg jeans. It has a very Pinterest/European supermodel vibe, and I’m here for it.
TA DA! Now we have a great fall outfit featuring our favorite pair of jeans. Now for our shorts:
STYLING SHORTS FOR FALL
- Start with a long-sleeve tee. I am a SUCKER for a good long-sleeve and shorts combo. I’m wearing a long-sleeve tee because I want to be prepared for summer temps in the afternoon. Swapping this top for a sweater will work well in the next few weeks!
- Add a flannel. In my opinion (which is also a fact), flannels are the ULTIMATE fall layers. Have you ever seen a flannel that didn’t immediately make you want a pumpkin spice latte?? No, you haven’t. Tie it around your waist when you get too warm, and slip it on like a lightweight jacket when it gets chilly.
- Spice it up with some combat boots. Again, another one of my favorite combos for fall: shorts + chunky boots. This look gives me the aesthetic I always wanted in middle school. If I was an extra in the Ocean Avenue music video, this is probably what I would have worn.
And there you have it! Super easy ways to transition your favorite denim pieces to fall. I’m going to share all of these pieces (or similar styles) at the bottom so you can start creating fall looks! Make sure to follow me on Instagram for more content and check out my SHOP page for more styles.