Happy Valentine’s Day! You know I’m a big supporter of Valentine’s Day because I think every day should be a day where you can show someone how much you love, appreciate, and admire them. Also, fun fact, my mom’s favorite holiday is Valentine’s Day and every year she sends care packages to me and my sister, no matter how old we get. Talk about #momgoals.
It seems like the older you get and the longer you’re with your significant other, it gets harder and harder to think of good gift ideas. Even though Drew is the most low-key person of all time, I still find myself STRESSING about what to get him for his birthday, Christmas, Valentine’s Day, our anniversary. Sometimes it’s just a challenge to find ways or words to express just how much I appreciate him. Also, his birthday, our anniversary (dating), Christmas, and Valentine’s Day pretty much line up back-to-back so that’s fun (or not fun, depending on how much you like giving gifts). Not to mention, giving gifts for four months in a row can really put some pressure on your budget.
Here are 10 ways to love on your valentine that don’t cost a thing (aka show them how much you appreciate them, without running to the drugstore to buy a stuffed bear they won’t even like)
- MAKE DINNER Y’all all know the struggle of the “what’s for dinner” phone call on the way home from work. Spare your valentine and make the call- I promise they’ll love whatever you whip up.
- DO A CHORE THEY HATE Does your SO hate unloading the dishwasher? Do it for them, no questions asked. Now if I could only teach Drew how to dry my hair…
- MAKE A HANDMADE CARD It doesn’t matter if you’re Picasso or not, a handmade card goes a long way. I always make Drew cards that have some reference to The Office. Pick an inside joke and let your imagination go!
- MAKE THEIR FAVORITE DESSERT This one kind of goes along with dinner, but if your valentine has a sweet tooth, this will be a huge hit.
- GIVE THEM A MASSAGE Don’t get weird on me, y’all. You don’t have to be a professional masseuse to give a good foot rub that your valentine will appreciate!
- CLEAN UP This one goes out to all y’all that fell in love with a neat freak- a clean home/room/space will be a gift they will LOVE. You don’t even have to deep clean- pick up your socks, throw the dirty dishes in the dishwasher and BAM, instant gift.
- SEND A NICE MESSAGE Alright y’all, this one is a no-brainer. A lil text or email in the middle of the day to let them know you love them goes a long way.
- PLAN A SPECIAL DATE Technically, this doesn’t cost you any money at the time, so I’m still good. Just like the dinner thing, take it upon yourself to plan something special for you and your SO to do later. Make reservations at their favorite place or plan a day trip somewhere y’all have been dying to go. It’s the gift that keeps on giving!
- READ A BOOK TOGETHER Nothing sounds better than having a picnic on the living room floor and listening to someone read Harry Potter to me. Plus, no way you finish the book in one night, so this could be the start of a fun routine!
- LET THEM CHOOSE Another great gift- let your valentine decide what they want to do! Have an open mind and an up-for-anything attitude and they can pick dinner, the movie- kind of like a choose-your-own-journey book.
You can’t go wrong with jewelry, chocolate, or flowers, but think outside the box this year. Try to create a memory, instead of just giving a gift. The best gift you can ever give someone is your time.
What are your Valentine’s Day plans? Let me know in the comments below!